PROTECTION against major pests that attack soybeans like African bollworm (Helicoverpa armigera)
One of the main benefits of Intacta RR2 Pro technology is the protection against one of the most devastating insect pests in soybean production, the African Bollworm. African Bollworm moths lay their eggs on the soybean plant, after 3-5 days the eggs hatch and the caterpillar emerge. It is this larval stage that causes damage to the plant through direct feeding on the plant. African Bollworm feeding can lead to significant economic losses to growers due to a loss in not only the quantity of yield, but a loss of quality as well.
How does Intacta RR2 PRO technology offer protection?
- Resistance to African Bollworm is transferred through a Bt protein produced in Intacta RR2 Pro Soybeans
- The larval stage of the African Bollworm feeds on the Intacta RR2 Pro soybeans, ingesting the Bt protein
- Once inside the caterpillar, the Bt protein is dissolved in the high pH of the insect gut, becoming active
- These active Bt proteins attack the gut cells of the insect pests creating holes in the lining, leading the osmotic changes and finally spillage of the gastric juices
- The larvae stop feeding and die within 72 hours